NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Ben Roethlisberger for the first 6 games of the upcoming season, following an incident that occurred in a Georgia nightclub between Ben and a 20 year old sorority girl.
Formal charges were never filed, and no arrests were made, so there are people, either dumb or Steelers fans or both, that will say "well how can Goodell suspend him? He wasn't found guilty!" Well, Ben's not a rockstar, he's an nfl quarterback, and he's been involved with questionable behavior before.
First and foremost, Ben is a 28 year old two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback, representing the most decorated franchise in NFL history, from a city built on hard work and blue collar people. I think it's high time he checked his skirt chasing at the door. If you're Ben Roethlisberger, I doubt its hard to "scratch that itch," why put yourself in that idiotic of a situation, multiple times at that.
The case has come down to a lot of "he said, she said," and I cannot place the blame on one soul party. I cannot acknowledge allegations that Ben's bodyguards dragged this young lady into the bathroom and whatever happened was not consensual but forced by Ben, because that account is coming from drunk people who may be protecting their friend. That being said, I also cannot say that Ben wasn't doing anything wrong, because I think it's pretty clear he was.
I'm ok with the punishment for the crime, and hope that, in the days leading up to the draft, future NFL stars realize that it isn't just throwing touchdowns on Sundays, but there is a certain obligation and higher standard all NFL players should be aware of, and live up to.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment