B.O. is an appropriate title because, to me, the Oscars tonight might in fact stink. This is just one guy's opinion, but if Avatar sweeps, it will be a travesty.
Quite frankly I liked Avatar the first time I saw it, when it was called Dances With Wolves.
Look, folks, once you get passed the 3D effects (which wares off about a half hour in) the movie wasn't especially good. An angry southern general who is bent on domination? Original, Mr. Cameron. The soldier who is sent on a mission in order to help Earth take over the Na'vi who then has to choose whether to be aligned with his human race or his new Avatar race, SPOILER ALERT we all knew what he was going to join the Na'vi.
I'm well aware of the budget exceeding 300 million to make the film. I'm well aware of the fact that it has generated over 2 billion dollars worldwide. You can throw all the numbers you want at me, but numbers don't make a best picture, and this was not the best picture.
In a field of 10 this year (which is a tad much in itself), Avatar is maybe 5th best. My pick? Up in the Air with George Clooney, one of the best films I've ever seen.
And I know you are all wondering my predictions for the other major categories, so here goes:
- Best Actor: Jeff Bridges
- Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
- Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz
- Best Supporting Actress: Anna Kendrick
- Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow
- Best Picture: Avatar (unfortunately)
No comments:
Post a Comment